A Quick Guide to MDMS Registration in Nepal
In Nepal, the Mobile Devices Management System (MDMS) plays a pivotal role in keeping a digital record of all mobile devices operating with Nepali SIM cards. This system, managed by the Nepal Telecommunication Authority (NTA), primarily focuses on recording the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) numbers of all devices, including smartphones, feature phones, and SIM card-supporting tablets, that have been imported into the country.
The Purpose of MDMS
MDMS serves various functions, with its core objectives being road safety and security. It acts as a powerful tool to track registered devices in case of loss and to block unauthorized devices that may pose a security threat. In essence, MDMS ensures that all mobile devices in Nepal are accounted for and legitimate.
Process for Registering Unregistered Mobile Devices:
- IMEI Check: Ensure your device’s International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) is not registered in the MDMS system. You can find the IMEI by dialing *#06# on your device.
- Start Registration: Visit the MDMS portal on the NTA’s website (mdms.nta.gov.np) and begin the registration process.
- IMEI Validation: Enter your unregistered device’s IMEI number, brand (company), and model number. Confirm whether you are the device’s user or not. Validate the IMEI and proceed.
- User Details: Provide your official email address and verify it with the OTP sent to your email.
- Personal Information: Share your arrival details, country of arrival, address details, and other relevant personal information.
- Document Submission: Attach digital copies (in.jpg or.jpeg format) of three crucial documents:
- Purchase receipt, bill, or invoice
- Passport of the device owner or bringer
- Passport page with immigration stamp (for devices brought from abroad)
- Customs Declaration Certificate: If you paid customs duties for your device upon arrival, you will need to provide the customs declaration certificate.
- Declaration: Agree to the declaration that states the devices in the application are legal, genuine, and for personal use only.
- Form Submission: Submit the registration form and wait for approval and whitelisting.
Costs Associated with MDMS Registration:
- Apple iPhones and Apple Cellular Devices: Rs 10,000
- Any phone costing Rs 1,00,000 and above: Rs 10,000
- Any smartphone costing less than Rs 1,00,000: Rs 3,000
- Any other mobile devices: Rs 200
Please note that these fees apply to devices that were in use without prior registration until May 29, 2023. Paying the specified fee will bring gray-listed devices into compliance with MDMS registration.
The importance of IMEI
The heart of MDMS registration lies in the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number of your device. This unique number identifies your mobile device and is essential for the registration process. The IMEI is typically found by dialing *#06# on your device.
Grey-Listed Mobile Registration
The government of Nepal has provided an opportunity for owners of gray-listed smartphones to register their devices by paying a lump-sum amount. This measure aims to bring gray devices into the legal fold.
The registration process for gray-listed devices includes checking if the IMEI is registered in MDMS, providing personal details, and making the required payment via online platforms such as Esewa, Khalti, or Connect IPS. Once the payment is successful, the mobile device is registered in MDMS.
The future of MDMS
The MDMS system is continually evolving to combat illegal devices and enhance security. International blacklisting of devices claimed to be lost or stolen is also in the pipeline, further emphasizing the importance of registering devices properly.
In summary, Nepal’s Mobile Devices Management System (MDMS) is a crucial tool for maintaining security and legality in the use of mobile devices. By registering your device, you not only ensure its legitimacy but also contribute to the overall safety and integrity of Nepal’s mobile network. So, whether you are a resident, tourist, or migrant worker, understanding and complying with MDMS registration is essential for a hassle-free mobile experience in Nepal.