Winter Warmth: Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
Winter calls for comforting and nourishing dishes, and a bowl of warm tomato soup is a timeless classic. This homemade tomato soup recipe is a perfect blend of flavors and warmth, making it an ideal choice for chilly winter evenings. Let’s get started on crafting a delicious pot of tomato soup to keep you cozy this winter.
- 8-10 ripe tomatoes, preferably Roma or plum tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional, for added richness)
- Fresh basil leaves or croutons for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the tomatoes: Start by boiling a large pot of water. Score an “X” on the bottom of each tomato. Submerge the tomatoes in the boiling water for about 30 seconds. Remove them and immediately place them in a bowl of ice water. This will make peeling the tomatoes easier. Once cooled, peel the skin, remove the cores, and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Sauté the Aromatics: In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic, sautéing until they become translucent, which usually takes about 5 minutes.
- Add Vegetables: Stir in the chopped carrots and celery. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes, allowing the vegetables to soften.
- Simmer with Tomatoes: Add the chopped tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, and bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper. Let the mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes break down and release their juices.
- Blend and Strain: Remove the bay leaf, and then blend the soup using an immersion blender or a regular blender until it’s smooth and creamy. If you prefer a silky texture, strain the soup through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Return to Heat: Return the soup to the pot, and over low heat, stir in the heavy cream if desired. Warm the soup gently; do not let it boil once the cream is added.
- Serve: Ladle the warm tomato soup into bowls. Garnish with fresh basil leaves or croutons, if you like. Serve with crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich for a heartwarming meal.
Enjoy the delightful flavors and warmth of this homemade tomato soup, perfect for keeping winter’s chill at bay. Serve it to your loved ones and savor the cozy goodness of a classic winter comfort food.